Coffee Rubbed Strip Steak w/ Lemon and Parsley Skillet Roasted Fingerling Potatoes

This dinner recipe is fantastic.  Typically if I have a steak, I only put salt and pepper on it.  But sometimes during the week I’ll pick up 3oz “perfect portion” strip steaks.  When I get these, sometimes I will use a coffee rub to change it up a bit.  If you haven’t tried a coffee rub, its actually awesome.  It doesn’t make your steak taste like Starbucks, but the roasted grounds are great for adding a smokey, unique flavor.  The fingerling recipe that I paired with this is one of the best recipes I’ve found.  These potatoes are insanely good.

Take your steaks and season both sides with a little salt and pepper.  Then start sprinkling fresh coffee grounds on both sides, rubbing it in, and spreading it out until both sides are covered.

Leave the steaks on the cutting board for now, we have to do the potatoes next which takes some time.  Here is the recipe:

Lemon and Parsley Skillet Roasted Fingerling Potatoes

    • 3 pounds fingerling potatoes, scrubbed, halved lengthwise
    • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
    • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, divided
    • 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley

This recipe makes 12 servings, you can obviously cut it down a little.

Combine potatoes, lemon juice, kosher salt, and 3 Tbsp. butter in a large straight-sided skillet or a Dutch oven; add cold water just to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until potatoes are tender, 20–25 minutes. Increase heat and boil rapidly until pan is almost dry, 15–20 minutes more (there will still be a sheen of butterfat).

Using a slotted spoon, transfer about half of potatoes to a plate and arrange potatoes remaining in skillet cut side down in a single layer (if your skillet is smaller, you may need to work in a few batches). Reduce heat to medium and cook potatoes undisturbed until water is evaporated and cut sides of potatoes are deeply browned, 5–10 minutes.

Using a thin metal spatula, scrape skillet to cleanly release potatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Return skillet to medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. butter, and repeat browning process with reserved potatoes. After scraping skillet to release potatoes, return first batch, along with parsley and remaining 2 Tbsp. butter, to skillet and toss until potatoes are well coated. Serve sprinkled with sea salt.

Recipe from

After I had these ready, I started to cook my steaks on an iron skillet I had heating up.  Obviously cook the steaks to your preferred desired temperature.  Right before you pull them off, squeeze a little lemon juice on them and rub the lemon onto the tops of the steaks.

I added a little side of green beans because I like having one green vegetable with dinner if I can.  This is a recipe I will make time and time again.  It was my first time cooking potatoes this way, and they came out rich, buttery, and delicious.  The whole family loved them.

Let me know what you think!

Tagged with: