Toby’s Estate Coffee Roasters: “Bedford”(Espresso Blend)

For Christmas this year, my wife surprised me with a high-end coffee/espresso combination machine.  As a fan of coffee, I am now able to make all kinds of delicious beverages and practice my amateur barista skills on a daily basis.  I have such a passion for good coffee.  No creamer, no bullshit.  I want to taste and experience only the coffee itself.  To me, it’s almost like tasting wine.  There is so much to look for in different roasts, and they keep getting better and better.

Today I picked up and an espresso from Toby’s Estate Coffee Roasters out of Brooklyn, NY.  This blend is called “Bedford” and was roasted on December 18, 2017.  Toby’s Estate Coffee is more expensive then I usually get,  as this bag was about $15.00 for 12oz.

The first thing I noticed when I ground up these beans, was how red the were.  Typically the espresso beans I usually get are dark brown.  These grounds were almost a rust color and the beans are a combination from Columbia and Ethiopia.  The aroma from the freshly ground beans had subtle notes of a brown sugar sweetness.  Once the brewing began, the citrus aromas came right out.  The color of the brew was just as red as the grounds.

IMG_8720 (1)

This definitely isn’t your old grandpa’s espresso, there is a lot going on here.  I am used to a more traditional roast myself, this is an ambitious blend.  The citrus flavor in this, along with it’s syrupy body, make for delicious experience.

I am more then impressed with this roast and look forward to trying it in a latte.  Others who tried this say the flavors come out more intensely when combined with milk.  I will be trying more from Toby’s Estate in the future.