Woodcock Brothers Brewing Company: India Pale Ale

I remember going on a wine tour years ago and ending up passing through Wilson, NY.  At the time I had never had any Woodcock beers, and I also hadn’t heard anyone really talk about them.   Well, the brewery was fantastic, and the beer was surprisingly delicious!  I’m not using “surprisingly” in an insulting way (I probably could phrase that better), I just hadn’t heard anyone mention their beers before.  I still don’t really.  With that all being said, Woodcock Brothers beer is very underrated.

This India Pale Ale is refreshing.  At a 6.5%, it is extremely balanced, allowing me to sip it casually while fighting with my family members about politics.  My biggest problem with this beer is that they don’t date the cans.  You can’t put “drink fresh” on a can with no date.  How am I supposed to know?  I gave it a shot as it was on the shelf with some other delicious options, all dated fresh.

When I say this beer is extremely balanced, I mean that in a good and a bad way.  The good is that there isn’t anything wrong with this.  It has an acceptable amount of hops, citrus, and malt.  When the can is first opened, you get just enough of that fresh smell that you want in an IPA.  And then you taste it…

If this beer were a little cheaper, I’d say it would be a great beer for outdoors on a summer day.  If this beer were cheaper, I’d say this would be a great beer to mow the lawn with.  The problem is that it comes in a 4 pack of 16oz cans, priced as if it’s something special.  That is where it falls short.

Overall, this India Pale Ale can’t hang with the other 4 pack IPA’s on the shelf right now.  In a market that is currently flooded with choices, this would not be one I would make again.  3/5.

**This review in no way reflects my experience at the brewery itself.  My experience there was fantastic and the beers on tap were fresh and delicious.  Definitely check it out if you are ever weirdly in Wilson, NY.**

Tagged with: