Super Bowl Party Etiquette

It’s that time of year again. Everybody is getting ready for the Pats vs Eagles. Even if you’re a casual fan of football, you’re still looking forward to Sunday. Now, some of you may not be looking forward to the game itself, but more the party/gathering for it.

Right now, if you don’t have plans to watch the game on Sunday, you’re probably rushing to make plans with your friends. Whether you’re hosting or attending, there’s always an etiquette to Super Bowl parties, and that’s what this article will cover.

1. Have food and drinks ready for your guests

This rule basically applies for most viewing parties, but it’s a staple for the Super Bowl. The coverage goes on for 4+ hours, and that kind of TV consumption works up an appetite. If you graciously volunteered to use your home as the Super Bowl headquarters, there needs to be food and drinks.

Keep in mind, this doesn’t mean the host has to break the bank on finger foods and dinner. Having an assortment of chips and dips is always a great default, and it shouldn’t cost more than $30. Also, depending on how much you’re willing to spend, pizza is always perfect for this occasion. If you buy it right before the game, it’ll usually last until the end. If you’re only planning on serving finger foods and apps, let that be known to your guests, so they plan accordingly.

When it comes to alcohol, a case of beer is always a good choice. There’s no need to get any fancy craft beers, as something cheap will go fine with pizza and chips. If alcohol isn’t something your guests will be consuming, there’s no harm in picking some soda.

budweiser_2016_logo_detail
That’ll do

Now, I understand this can be costly for the person hosting, but don’t worry, there’s options on how to cover this. Just because you’re hosting, it doesn’t mean you have to purchase everything. There’s absolutely no harm in assigning food/drink duties to your guests. After all, the host is giving up his/her home on a Sunday night. This brings me to my next point.

2. Ask your host what he or she needs

Like I mentioned before, someone is giving up their home on a Sunday night for a party, so bring something with you. Not everybody is swimming in pools of cash, so as friends we should all chip in. Also, this allows for more variety in snacks and drinks.

If you’re someone that’s only an acquaintance to the host, this rule applies to you more than anybody else. Nobody likes seeing someone they barely know mooch off the party they threw.

3. Don’t invite people without the host’s permission

There’s not much to this rule, because it’s common courtesy. Your host may be looking to keep the party low key, and they have the right to do so. Also, if your host  hasn’t extended an invite to people outside of the guests that are already confirmed, you probably shouldn’t ask this question.

simpsons-super-bowl
Not everybody wants their living room to look like this

4. Respect the game!

There’s two parts to this rule, and first is to keep the talking to a minimum while the game is on. The whole purpose of this party is to watch football, and it can’t be enjoyed if others are screaming about topics that are unrelated. With that being said, adding bits of your own game commentary is usually welcomed. If you and some others want to have an off topic discussion, there’s nothing wrong with getting up and walking to another part of the house/apartment to have it. In this case, if you’re fortunate enough to have a large house and multiple TVs, you may want to consider having the game on in multiple rooms.

The second part to this rule is all about keeping the insults about football away from the party. Chances are, most people are hear to enjoy a football game, and that’s not easy if someone continues to crap on the sport. Even if you’ve been dragged to a party by your spouse or friend, keep your negative comments to yourself. As someone that’s had people come over and insult wrestling during Wrestlemania, I can tell you that it’s incredibly irritating.

5. Leave at timely manner

Hey, it’s a Sunday, people have work in the morning, so make sure you leave on time. I get it, people have been drinking and are having a good time, but every party has to come to an end. As someone that’s hosted parties for other events and Super Bowls, there’s nothing more that I hate than having to drop hints for people to leave. It’s an awkward position to put the host in.

If you’re the host and don’t want the party to go on after the game, let that be known to the guests. The party is only going to go on if the host doesn’t say anything. Not everybody at your party is aware of your work schedule, so just be up front about it.

6. Don’t drink and drive

I’d hope this is common sense for most people reading, but make sure you or your friends don’t get behind that wheel intoxicated. Your lives are more important than getting your car home the same night. Always plan ahead, and make sure you have safe transportation to and back from the party.

7. Have Fun!

It may sound like there’s a lot of rules for a Super Bowl party, but that’s with every party ever hosted. As long as mankind has been holding get-togethers, there’s always been an expected etiquette for both guests and hosts. However, this doesn’t mean we have to be robotic when hanging out with our friends.

Make sure you cheer when your team scores a touchdown, or boo when the play is in review. It’s okay to heckle your friends once your team wins, or even throw a small fit when your team loses. Why not make a wager with the others at your party? It’ll sure be fun to win a couple bucks at the end of the night.

Anyways, just make sure having fun is your first priority for this Sunday.

superbowl-party1
If everything goes right, this will be your party on Sunday

I hope I was able to educate some party throwers and goers for this weekend. If you feel like I’ve missed anything, please share it in the comment section.

Also, I’d like to thank Aaron for giving me this platform to write on. Hopefully this will be the first of many sports articles I’ll contribute to Beards & Banter!